In the 1970s, a shingle mill made by Lane Manufacturing Co., Montpelier, VT was donated to the Ledyard mill by volunteer A. Palmer Steffenson. The Lane was operated with water-power for the first few years in the Ledyard mill, but in the late 1970s the power system was converted to be run off a gasoline engine. The gas engine was moved out of the building in 2014 and the shingle mill is planned to be configured to run off an electric motor.
1887. WL Main mortgage to Israel Brown, 1887 (Ledyard Land Records 5, 629)
The mortgage was for the farm property and “also standing on the premises a sawmill and shingle mill with buzz saw and gearing belonging thereto”. It is not known whether the shingle mill listed in the 1887 mortgage was the same as listed in Albert Brown’s earlier tax records. However, almost 30 years later a shingle mill from the Ledyard mill was sold to William Welles of Mystic—it seems unlikely that an 1848-era shingle mill would still be used in 1915.
1890. $500 mortgage from Lucius Brown to Israel Brown (October 10, 1890) used similar language as the 1887 mortgage for the mill; it included a “saw mill, shingle mill, buzz saw & gearing, water privileges” (Ledyard Land Records 5, 697).
1902. In 1902 Horace H. Main (1859-1935) received from his father William Leeds Main’s estate “All interest etc acquired by foreclosure of the mortgage of Israel W Brown to said WL Main dated the 3rd day of March 1887…65 acres with dwelling house and other buildings thereon including sawmill and shingle mill” (Ledyard Land Records 9, 225).
Click here for 1906 Lane catalog of machinery with descriptions of the shingle mill
See restored Lane shingle mills in action at the following web sites. Neither is the shingle mill at the Ledyard Sawmill.
The video below is from Jason Weir in Chichester, NH showing an antique Lane shingle mill being powered by a modern tractor power take-off to make pine shingles.