When the town of the Ledyard purchased the sawmill in 1966, the building was vacant and sawmill mechanism had not been used for three decades. In the 1970s the sawmill was restored to the configuration that was originally installed 100 years earlier.
The mill is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The listing (reference #72001332) is under the name "Main Sawmill" for the Main family who owned the mill from 1902 until it was sold to the town of Ledyard in 1966. The application for listing was submitted in 1972 after the restoration of the sawmill and equipment was nearly complete. The nomination form and accompanying photographs are available on the National Register website.